Friday, January 24, 2014

And I Ran, I Ran So Far Awaaayy

I ran a half marathon last weekend. All 13.1 ridiculous miles. My first. Likely not my last. It's my sister-in-laws fault. She had signed up to walk it with some friends and caught me during my post Life's A Beach Triathlon (the Triathlon for Slackers) high.

The half marathon was in Charleston and they advertised shrimp and grits and beer at the end. How could I refuse the opportunity to be back in my city, see some family, and have a great excuse to eat food I love somewhat guilt free?

So I committed. The persuaded Jonathan to commit. And then, my brother committed. I must admit that looking at the 13.1 mile route on the map was daunting but we all began training.

Last Saturday was the big day. The Notorious MRA and ASA both had the flu and the forecast for the event was a sunny 37 degrees. But we persisted. And I bought some "cold gear" to run in.

On the drive up, MRA vomited all over Chik-fil-A and the forecast changed to include WIND! We decided if it rained we were throwing in the towel and sleeping in. We finally made it to South Carolina, dropped the boys off with my parents and were relieved to finally be in a car without incessant hacking coming from the back seat.

My runner friends all insisted that 37 degrees was PERFECT marathon weather but if you know me, I am a cold weather wimp. I turn mean and angry and I say things to people I love that are rude and ugly. I hate to be cold.

Long story short, I did it! We all did it. Chad clocked the winds at 19 mph around mile 10 which is about were my knee gave out (and my headphones died) but we finished. And we finished within our goals. Jonathan was super fast (although he doesn't think so) and my brother and I finished in stride, crossing the finish line together. Robin also finished with a great time.


I could not have crawled another mile.

My mother-in-law asked if I was going to get one of those 13.1 stickers for my car and all I could say was, "NO! I am more proud of 37*F. I'll take one of those stickers.

I loved finishing with my brother and hopefully we will all do it again next year and I learned that I can run in the cold but I can absolutely do without the wind.

And next year I need to add a little Flock of Seagulls (I Ran) to my play list.

And here are the stats so I don't forget them: Charleston Half Marathon Stats

No comments:

Post a Comment