Saturday, August 20, 2011

Three Days and Counting - The Roller Coaster Ride

When I was11 or 12, my dad took me to Kings Dominion. The latest, newest, scariest, most hardcore  roller coaster had just opened up. It was called The Grizzly and it was a wooden ride that creaked and swayed as it hurled through a double figure eight and dropped you the through the forest.

Of course we had to ride it. And, of course, we waited a little longer in line to ride in the first car. Because, we could tame The Grizzly, no problem.

This is my roller coaster MO. I am not scared of the first car. That is until it starts creaking its way slowly up the first and largest and most terrifying hill. And when you get to the top of that hill, the operator lets the first car slide just barely over the peak, dangling you there, teasing you.

Its usually at this moment that I start thinking, "What the hell was I thinking?" What am I doing up here?" this is quickly followed by a serious of fast thoughts...

-There's no way to get off.
-You are going to have to suck it up.
-Lame-er people than I have done this
-You cannot complain because you acted all hardcore and wanted to sit in the front car and talked too big of a game about it.
_CRAP!

And then the roller coaster car drops, along with my heart and stomach and the ride is over way too fast and I am considering standing in line to do it all over again.

This is much like being 3 days away from having a second baby (at least for me). I feel like I am dangling over the highest, scariest peak and thinking, "Holy crap, what have we done?' The quick thoughts are much the same:

- I can't get out of this now
-You are going to have to suck it up
-Lame-er people than us have managed
-You cannot complain because you both decided together not to return to using birth control
-CRAP!

I know that the ride is going to be over way too fast and at the end, I will be thrilled and have no regrets.

I also know that there won't be a third ride. After all, taming The Grizzly, meh... not so hard,; taming MRA and ASA, on the other hand, well.. that could take a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment