Thursday, June 16, 2011

Week 30

Yes, I have made it to the third trimester and am officially 30 weeks preggo. I received an email from one of the pregnancy sites this week entitled, "Keeping Cool During a Hot Summer Pregnancy". I was hopeful that there might be some tips I could use because, quite frankly, I am freakin' hot.

Let's face it, its Florida, its humid as hell and I am carrying around about 25 extra pounds at 7.5 months pregnant. I am freakin' hot. ALL. THE. TIME.

These are the tips from the email:

1. Run errands, go for walks, and do outdoor tasks in the early morning or evening when it's cooler. (Uuumm, yeah, our low was 79 degrees last night and I am pretty sure that at that point during the night any place I need to run errands is closed. And even if it were open, I AM SLEEPING!)


Stay in the shade or indoors with air conditioning when temperatures exceed 90 degrees, and remember to limit your activity on those days. (Well, I work indoors but the the maintenance man said its freakin' hot in my office because although the air is a cool 58 degrees coming out of the vents , the motor is really small so it is not blowing anywhere - fantastic!)

Wear light-colored cotton clothing, which reflects sunlight, rather than dark colors, which absorb it. Growing up in the south, this is a kinda standard rule of thumb during the summer. So, when I was pregnant with the Notorious MRA I went shopping for maternity clothes with my mom. I was so, so, so very discouraged because it was spring and I wanted to buy light, airy, springy clothes. My mom pointed out there was a reason I was having trouble finding said colors in the maternity section.
 
Fast forward: this pregnancy I found and bought a crisp, new, white maternity t-shirt. I was happy, oh so happy. Until I saw a photo of myself in said t-shirt. My mom was right. There is a reason you don't see pregnant women wearing a lot of light colored cotton clothing. Its because we look like HUGE cotton balls walking down the street. Its not our best look.
 
Anyone got any useful tips on staying cool?

1 comment:

  1. Here are some websites that I really like about cooling off during the summer throughout a pregnancy. The first website is my favorite and has information and tips about being pregnant with another toddler around during the heat.

    http://www.babyworld.co.uk/features/pregnancywk/cool.asp

    http://www.askbaby.com/staying-cool.htm

    http://www.prweb.com/releases/health/pregnancy/prweb540843.htm

    ReplyDelete