Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Its a time to give thanks

and quite frankly, I am thankful that Thanksgiving is OVER.

It used to be that that Thanksgiving was my worlds-most-favoritist holiday. I have good memories of Thanksgivings past and they are all sort of wrapped up with my birthday which is sometimes on Thanksgiving.  On the years it is not, its always within a day or so.

However, over the past few years, I have started to dread Thanksgiving. It puts me in a bad mood. Which is also wrapped up with my birthday too and which makes me dread my birthday because it is all wrapped up with the Thanksgiving thing.

In the egocentric mind of a child, I guess I thought my birthday was HUGE - there was always LOTS of family around and special desserts. People traveled to get together for my birthday and it was fun in an eat, drink, and be merry sort of way.

My Aunt Lottie used to make a special cherry cake. I think she called a cajun country cake or country cajun cake or something like that. It was pink. And even though I am no fan of cake, it was pink and cherry and everyone made a big deal over it!

Then I grew up and the big deal turned out to be about Thanksgiving (oh, and by the way, Happy Birthday) but I still enjoyed the togetherness of it all and my friends and I would still go out and celebrate once we reached our thresh holds of the togetherness.

Now though, not living near family, we don't get to spend Thanksgiving with everyone anyone, which is depressing if you are used to big family Thanksgivings. Of course, even if I were to spend Thanksgiving with others, there is my birthday, which gets overlooked because everyone is preparing for, celebrating, or recovering from Thanksgiving. So, really, the birthday, not so great either.

Its depressing.

You see, if there is one day a year that things should just be a little easier, a little more convenient, maybe your loved ones make an effort to make your day a little happier, it should be on your birthday. But my birthday, for everyone, is about Thanksgiving.

So my birthday this year involved work, navigating the insane grocery store with a 12 month old hungry child and a pizza that came with the wrong toppings. This was followed by spending more time in the kitchen than I care too or actually do at any other time of the year. I am just not that domestic.

There are a few people who offer to celebrate with me on another day but that's because Thanksgiving is the priority.

I really want to love Thanksgiving again, but most of the time, I am just thankful its over.

Oh, and just so you all aren't worried about my doom and gloom attitude, I am, also, thankful for the Notorious MRA. Thanksgiving was definitely more comical because of him.



No comments:

Post a Comment