Friday, August 27, 2010

The one where MRA begins training for a career in competitive eating (watch out Joey Chestnut!)

Every year, for the passed six or seven years, Jonathan and I have found ourselves watching the annual Nathan's Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest from the gym. Usually, it comes on about halfway through my treadmill or elliptical workout. I know, I know, this says plenty about my relationship with food and my body, but that is a whole nother Oprah episode/post!

So, back to hot dog eating. Up until a few years ago Kobiyashi was the reigning king. Then, the American, Joey Chestnut beat him out and has won ever since. Chestnut is currently the number 1 ranked competitive eater. Its not just hot dogs, there are, apparently, all kinds of competitive eating contests. There is even a woman, small in stature, that puts most of the men to shame. I secretly admire her. Well, I admire the ability to eat LOTS of food and stay thin. I don't admire the technique nor speed which is quite sloppy and a little disgusting (very disgusting after 30 minutes of cardio.)

It seems our little MRA, however, may have some natural inclination for this sort of competition. What do you think? Should Joey Chestnut and Kobiyashi be scared?

2 comments:

  1. Competitive eating horrifies me, but the idea of a baby doing it is really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, it is pretty horrifying. I have to say, Morgan could probably win if he was eating goldfish. It amazes me how many he can stuff in his mouth and I do find it pretty amusing!

    ReplyDelete