Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sometimes a step back is all you need

When I was studying art in college, I often worked diligently up close to my piece. My professors constantly reminded me to step a few feet back from my work periodically so that I could see the whole.

Without fail, whatever I was working on looked different from that perspective and I usually had an idea of what I then needed to do to make progress.

It seems that stepping back from your work (or taking a break) works for more than just creating art. Sometimes one just needs to take a break and when you return to the task at hand, you have a new perspective and know exactly the direction to go in.


MRA experienced this for the first time last week. He had taken ISR swim lessons over the summer. Although he loves swimming under water, he HATES floating on his back and whenever he went to turn, he would do so like a somersault rather than turning on his side.

We took a break and last week he returned for a one week refresher course. This may not look like much to you but trust me, HUGE progress and I am soooo proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment